Thursday, July 9, 2009

Athens, the Best last place on earth

If you ever were wondering of a stop in Europe that could make you actually want to leave and head back to the states, I recommend finishing your trip in Athens, Greece. I am sure there are plenty of nice things about Athens. Perhaps Kesley will share some of what she saw, she really loved it. She was very fond of the massive amounts of people packed into the little spaces, she loved the street our hotel was on and the drug pushers on the corner, loved the taxi cab drivers that consistently refused to give us a ride anywhere, and loved even more our hotel room in which she literally slept in her shoes all night due to her fear of the carpet or maybe that we would be attacked and she wanted to be able to run....... Regardless, shoes were on all night.

It is hot, dirty, and full of people. My favorite things about it are as follows: The Subway which was easy and only 3 Euros, the Acropolis and surrounding Plaka Area, and they Olympic Village.....

But what I truly loved about it was walking off the boat into an outdoor steam room with wall to wall people sweating ,pushing, and touching on the sidewalks and the subway. I also loved when Kez asked a taxi to take us 3 blocks from the Metro to our hotel and he responded, while shaking his pointer finger, "Ah, No thank you." and I loved the guy who tried to get Kesley and I to use his services......of which I still am not sure what he was selling......he kept referring to me as "redlight" and kez as "yellow" I kept saying, "No thank you" to whatever it was he was saying and he asked, "I sorry....are you two lesbians?....I sorry, just curious." To which I responded, "No" and he replied, "Oh, you like mens? Me too." Kez's eyes may have popped out of her eyes upon the hotel entrance, but in this conversation I had to pick them up off the ground. She is still recovering.

I also loved to be in the airport for 13 hours before leaving on our flight. Kez woke me up at 5:30 am asking if I was ready to go to the airport......our flight was to leave at 12:30pm, the airport was a half hour away. She was fully dressed with her sneakers on. Confused, I dressed and we arrived at the airport at 7:30am, checked in at 10:30am, flew out at 9:10pm to get to.

So, to say the least, I was ready to leave. Athens was a great place to get me ready to come home. Thank you Athens, without you, I may still be in Europe.

RP

No comments:

Post a Comment